The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC) is delighted to announce the third annual SPDC Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme for applicants from Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa States.
The main objective of the scholarship scheme is to provide an opportunity for qualifying students from the three Niger Delta States to further their education in courses that are relevant to the oil and gas industry. In the first two years of the programme, 20 students have benefitted from the opportunity to study at world-renowned institutions.
For the academic year commencing in September 2012, SPDC will award up to ten scholarships for one-year post-graduate studies; this is in partnership with three prestigious and internationally recognised universities in the United Kingdom Imperial College London, University College London and the University of Leeds.
The following courses at the three institutions qualify for the scholarship:
Imperial College London
MSC Petroleum Engineering
MSC Petroleum Geoscience
MSC Petroleum Geophysics
MSC Engineering Geology
University College London
MSC Chemical Process Engineering
MSC Mechanical Engineering
MSC Civil Engineering
University of Leeds
MSC Exploration Geophysics
MSC Electronic/Electrical Engineering
To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must:
- display intellectual ability and leadership potential;
- meet the university’s language requirement (usually at least 6.5 in IELTS);
- be between 21-30 years;
- be an indigene of Rivers, Delta or Bayelsa States (documentary proof of this will be required);
- currently reside in Nigeria;
- intend to return and take up permanent residence in Nigeria after completion of the proposed programme of study;
- have obtained a university degree of at least an equivalent standard to a UK Second Class Upper (Honours Degree);
- be neither a current nor former employee (having left employment within the last five years) of SPDC, the Royal Dutch Shell Group of Companies or Wider Perspectives Limited, or be related to current employees of any of these companies;
- not have studied previously in the UK or any other developed country.
- Candidates must have gained admission to study at any of the participating universities in one of the qualifying courses;
- Application forms will be available ONLY through the participating universities, following admission;
- Nominated applicants will attend an interview before being considered for final selection;
- Submission deadline for 2012/2013 academic year application forms must reach participating universities no later than March 19, 2012.
The scholarship will cover tuition fees, one return flight from Nigeria to the UK and a contribution towards living expenses only.
FURTHER INFORMATION CAN BE OBTAINED AT firstname.lastname@example.org or through the individual universities.
*Please note that the stipends are based on the British Council Annual Rates and are limited to this.